Outer Space Achievements 1964 Overprint
1964, 30 November
Printer: Helio Electronic Press
Designer: Paul Koroleff
Sheet Size: 10 x 13
By overprinting three high values of the nine stamp set that was released on 25 January 1965, and the souvenir sheet, it was possible to dispose of excess stock before the expiration of the Baroody contract.
Although only three values of the nine stamps of the original set were officially overprinted and released, all values of the stamps were overprinted and sold thrugh the Dubai Philatelic Agency. The three stamps were released both perforated and imperforated. Those that were not officially issued were described as errors, or rare. Thousands of the perforated and imperforated stamps were overprinted and nearly as many errors were created.
Both the perforated and imperforated sheets were overprinted and many errors were created. Virtually every value received an inverted overprint, double overprints, triple overprints, overprints on an angle, and combinations of these on the same sheets.
These errors are very common and have very little value due to the quantities created. Sadly, full sheets are often offered on the Internet for $100 or more.
- The three stamps from the set that were "officially" overprinted and issued, on a FDC prepared by the Baroody Stamp Company. This is the perforated set and a similar cover exists for the imperforated set of three stamps.
- The overprinted souvenir sheet for the new set of stamps. Note that the souvenir sheet is numbered. It has absolutely no significance other than a means of keeping track of them by Mr. Stephan and Mr. Mosden.
- The top two SSs have control numbers printed in different positions on the sheet. The left SS has it on the right side and the right SS on the bottom. The two bottom sheets have the same control number. It is quite astounding that anyone would take a philatelic item that was created to be sold at the post office and then print something on it that had nothing to do with it and sell it as a mint item.
ITEMS CREATED DURING THE BAROODY CONTRACT
The above cover has a normal 1 1/2Rs stamp plus the stamp taken from the souvenir sheet, with an inverted overprint. Note that the envelope is the one used for the original issue - Honoring Astronauts. The original price of this cover was $60.
- All three of these sheets have the overprint double, inverted, or both.
- The overprint is shifted to the right on this sheet.
- Partial imperforate panes of the 2np and 1np values with double overprints. Neither value was officially issued.
- A partial pane of the 5np imperforate stamp that was partially overprinted three time on the right side. This stamp was not officially issued.
- This partial pane of the imperforate 2Rs value not only has the upper values overprinted three times, but there is also a vertical overprint.
- This perforated partial pane of the 2Rs stamp has a double overprint on the upper eight stamps, with one inverted.